Broughton Hall was purchased in 1923 at auction when a number of farms at the northern edge of the Shrubland Hall Estate were sold. Our family previously rented Thornbush Farm in Little Stonham, which adjoins Broughton Hall. The Tydemans do not travel far!!
At the auction, Charles Edward Tydeman bought the farm, which consisted of 214 acres, 3 cottages, and Broughton Hall. At that time 8 men worked on the farm using 6 heavy horses.
The first tractor was purchased in 1925 and was a Overtime Waterloo Boy. A bagging combine harvester was purchased around 1950 and was a Massey Ferguson 21.
The farm was added to over the years and has now even ventured into adjoining parishes!!
There are a few pictures from the archives in our gallery section showing how things have changed over the years.